Undergraduate Students | Volunteer Opportunity
Hope Speaks offers a state of the art internship program to students seeking to expand the scope of their studies and experiences. While you get a once in a lifetime experience, Hope Speaks is able to increase their services to hard to reach communities and individuals through the work of volunteers, students and interns.
Based on experience and level of education, daily tasks may include:
- Observation of evaluations
- Assisting in the creation and implementation of treatment plans
- Community Outreach and Education
- Familiarization with reporting tools such as Fusion Web Clinic
- Assisting in day-to-day program needs
Hope Speaks can provide supervision, meaning that observation hours can be recorded when needed.
On the weekends, you get to enjoy the best of what Uganda has to offer - safaris, a trip to the source of the Nile River, cultural experiences and more.
Our undergraduate program includes hands-on experience working in both our outreach programs and our private clinic setting. Students will have the opportunity to partner with a Ugandan SLP to gain a unique perspective and approach to speech therapy in a global setting.
- Applicants must be at least a junior in college
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of three weeks in Uganda
- Pass background checks and clearances
- Complete a pre-trip course that includes cultural preparedness and child protection training
- Be able to fully fund your internship whether privately or through fundraising
- Sign and adhere to Hope Speaks’ Code of Conduct for the duration of your internship
- Western style lodging with 24/7 security
- 2 Meals a day
- Transportation to and from intern related activities
- Travel insurance
- Wifi (at lodging and clinic)
- A donation to Hope Speaks programming
- Processing and application fees
Not Included (But available at an additional cost)
- 2-3 day Safari
- Tourist and Cultural Activities
Hope Speaks has several pre-set dates for internship trips in the coming year. They are:
- May 2 - May 23, 2023 (spots available)
- May 26 - June 18, 2023 (full)
- July 14 - August 4, 2023 (spots available)
- Additional dates will be added as demand needed
Where We Work
Uganda has been referred to as the Pearl of Africa and for good reason. It's home to over 40 million people. Apart from having such a large population, Uganda is a very poor nation. This has resulted in a lack of education, unclean water, and inconsistent income for its residents.
With all of these factors in play, it's easy to see why about 19 percent of the population is living with a disability. Our speech team helps to assist these children with speech therapy and rehabilitation services. By means of a diligent work effort, we're able to provide speech therapy in multiple locations throughout the country.
- Kampala School For The Physically Handicapped
- International Schools
- Dawn Childrens Centre
- Mukisa Foundation
- Mercy Childcare Ministry
- Angels Center For Children With Special Needs
- Katanga Slum
Why Volunteer For Hope Speaks?
Hope Speaks is a nonprofit organization. We're looking for undergraduate students that are looking to make a real difference in a country that will much appreciate it. By simply donating some of your time and experience, you can make a real difference in the life of children with disabilities in the Uganda region. You'll give them a true voice that they can use to change their culture's history going into the future.
Become A Volunteer
Serve with Hope Speaks by becoming a volunteer. Download our application to get started.
How to Contribute to Hope Speaks?
If you would like to help disabled youth in Uganda, it's time to act. As an undergraduate student, you can apply for our intern work program. This time commitment is three weeks, at the minimum. Even if you are unable to donate your time, Hope Speaks also accepts donations. By donating, it will help us expand our outreach.